There are nights when I come in from a workout class at our gym and it is almost 8 o'clock and I am just plain tired and want to get dinner on the table as quickly as possible. I always try to prepare for nights like this by making something in the crockpot or defrosting a meal from the freezer. But try is the key word there and sometimes try as I might, I walk in the door at 8 o'clock, starving after an intense cardio class with no game plan for dinner.
Luckily, I almost always have the ingredients for this light and delicious meal on hand in my kitchen and I bet you do, too.
Greek Chicken Pitas
- 2 boneless, skinnless chicken breasts
- Greek seasoning
- Lemon Juice
- Tzatziki spread
- Tomato, diced
- Onion, diced
- Cucumber, diced
- Feta Cheese
- Whole wheat sandwich thins or pita pockets (Kangaroo brand is my favorite)
1. Cut chicken into one inch cubes and season generously with greek seasoning, parsley, and pepper.
2. Heat a little EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken and 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
4. Sautee chicken until fully cooked.
5. Set up an assembly line. I like to spread a little hummus on one side of the sandwich-thin and tzatziki spread on the other. You can use a little greek yogurt if you don't have tzatziki on hand. Fill the pita with a mixture of chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion, and cucumber. Top with a little feta cheese. This pita is light and refreshing and goes well with a little jasmine rice on the side. Enjoy!